Acnecide 5% Gel is a treatment for acne. It contains the active ingredient benzyl peroxide, which treats acne by attacking the bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes, one of the main causes of acne.
Do not use Acnecide 5% Gel if you are:
- Allergic (hypersensitive) to benzoyl peroxide or any of the other ingredients in the product.
- Pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are breastfeeding, unless your doctor has told you that you can. If your doctor has recommended the use of this product while you are breastfeeding, you must not apply the gel onto your chest, this is to avoid exposure of your child to this product.
You should make sure that you carefully read all product packaging and labels prior to use. If you have, or suspect you may have a health problem you should consult your doctor. Please consult your doctor before taking any new product, particularly if you are already under medical care
Adults and children, unless your doctor or pharmacist has told you otherwise:
- Wash the affected area with a mild skin cleanser and water, and gently pat your skin dry.
- Apply the gel once or twice a day to all the affected areas.
- Any drying or peeling which may occur to your skin may be reduced if you alter the number of times you apply, i.e. to once a day or once every two days, until your skin adjusts to the product.
Do not apply to damaged skin.
- This product contains propylene glycol which may cause skin irritation.
- Avoid contact with the eyes, mouth, angles of the nose and other mucous surfaces such as the lining of your nose. If accidental contact should occur, rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- This product may bleach hair and coloured fabrics including clothing, towels and bed linen. Be careful to avoid contact of the gel with these materials. Please make sure that you wash your hands thoroughly after you have used it.
- Caution should be exercised when applying Acnecide to the neck and other sensitive areas.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight or UV lamps.
- You should not use medicines with peeling, irritant and drying effects at the same time as Acnecide.
- Do not use Acnecide with any other acne products that are used on the skin, unless your doctor or pharmacist has told you that you can, as this may cause your skin to become red and very sore.
- Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.